At the 2017 Google I/O conference, Google announced their new initiative focusing on supporting job seekers and employers, collaborating with job matching industry. One prime part of the initiative is providing a developed experience for the job seekers on Google Search. This experience is presently available to all site owners and developers.
There will be a job listings preview, which will expand to show comprehensive details for each job. This will suffice queries of specific jobs, like [entry level jobs in DC] or [head of catering jobs in nyc], and so on.
The site owners or employers with job contents will be benefitted by this feature in various ways:
- Prominent ranking in Search results: The postings will be eligible to be displayed by Google in the new job search feature, containing reviews, ratings, logos, and job details.
- More inspired applicants: The filter options will help job seekers in various criteria, such as job title or location. This will drive more traffic of job seekers to the employers for the respective jobs.
- Enhanced probabilities of discovery as well as conversion: The job seekers will be presented with a broader platform to interact with the postings and explore the respective sites.
Employers to get Job Listings on Google
The implementation includes two steps:
- Mark up the job listings with Job Posting structured data.
- Submit the sitemap (or an Atom feed or RSS) with <lastmod> date for each of the listings.
Employers can express interest for using High Change Rate feature, in case they have more than 100,000 job postings or more than 10,000 changes per day.
In case the employers have published their job openings on other sites such as Facebook, LinkedIn, DirectEmployers, Monster, Glassdoor, and CareerBuilder; these can also be appeared in the feature.
The new job search feature is a vast and enriched search experience for both the employers and job seekers. A dedicated guide has been created by Google to help employers understand how Google ranking can be used for enriched search, and provides practice for improving their respective web presence.
How to Evaluate and Fix Issues for Employers
The implementation involves a set of tools:
- Structured Data Testing Tool will help employers validate markup.
- The data testing tool can also be used for previewing job listings.
- The search console provides platform for keeping track of the sitemaps.
- The console also lets employers see aggregate stats and markup error examples.
The Search Analytics report in the Search Console is going to have new job listings filters in the coming weeks. This will help the employers track the clicks and impressions regarding their listings.
Ask your questions in the forums or follow Twitter.
Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss an update on the latest tech, gaming, startup, how to guide, deals and more.