Microsoft kickstarts the celebration of the coming Data Privacy Day (January 28) by introducing new privacy tools for Windows devices. It is a part of the company’s aim to remain transparent on how it collects and uses data from users, and to provide them with “increased control over that data.”
The new Microsoft privacy tools entail an early preview for the Windows Insiders to check out the Windows Diagnostic Data Viewer ahead of its release in the next Windows update
. It is made available for everyone in Microsoft Store
, allowing them to 'see, search and take action’ with the diagnostic data in the cloud of the user’s respective device. It as well allows users to provide feedback on the viewer.
The following are types of the presented diagnostic data:
- Common data: the ones like OS name, the Version, Device ID, Device Class, Diagnostic level selection and more.
- Info on connectivity and configuration of devices, like properties, capabilities, preferences, settings, peripherals, and the network connected to the device.
- Product and Service Performance Data: device health, performance, reliability, movie consumption functionality, and device file queries. This does not record the viewing or listening habits of the users.
- Product and Service Usage Data: details on usage of device, applications, operating system, and services.
Software Setup and Inventory: installed apps, install history, device update information.
In addition to these, Microsoft further brings the updated Microsoft Privacy Dashboard, which will let you, ‘see and manage more data associated with your Microsoft account
.’ It has been updated to the new page named Activity History. This will give you an easy-to-navigate way to monitor data saved in your account. You can change the collected data as per your wish via privacy settings of your device or browser.
Furthermore, in the coming months, the company will be bringing additional features to let you control even more data, like:
- Media consumption data and product and service activity
- Any kind of data export from the dashboard
- Deletion of specific items for enhanced individual control
All of the new features can be explored by the participants of the Windows Insider Program
. They will get to see additional changes in settings and functionality as well. Microsoft expects to see feedback on the experience of the participants.
India Coronavirus Cases Update
04 Jun 2020, 11:08 AM (GMT)