- Jul 29, 2021
New additions to the 8th Gen Intel® Core™ processor have been announced today. The U-series SKU, formerly Whiskey Lake, and the Y-series, formerly Amber Lake, have newly improved attributes of optimized connectivity in thin, light laptops and 2 in 1s, ultimate mobile performance, and long battery life.
The new 8th Gen Intel Core processors extend once again our leadership in delivering exceptional performance. Now with Gigabit Wi-Fi, we’ve enabled faster PC connectivity, added more intuitive voice experiences and enabled longer battery life needed for the next wave of mobile computing – Chris Walker, Vice president of Client Computing Group and general manager of Intel Mobile Client Platform
With the new 8th Gen Intel Core U-series and Y-series processors come in an improved and more efficient connectivity, performance, entertainment and productivity for laptops and 2 in 1s. According to Intel Corporation, both have new and improved platform capabilities for more intelligent interactions with PCs, including support for multiple voice services on the U-series and refinements to improve natural input options like touch and stylus for the Y-series. They feature Gigabit Wi-Fi via integrated Intel Wireless-AC 160 MHz, integrated USB 3.1 and improved Voice Services via dedicated quad-core audio DSP.
The 8th Gen Intel Core U-series processors (i7-8565U, i5-8265U, i3-8145U) with a 15-watt envelope with up to four cores and eight threads for mainstream laptops and 2 in 1s deliver the ultimate performance. They also boast of:
- integrated Gigabit Wi-Fi with Intel® Wireless-AC and the Intel LTE modem option
- up to 12x faster connectivity speeds
- long-lasting battery performance up to 16 hours on a single charge, with power-optimized systems that could
- extend battery up to 19 hours
- 2x better performance compared to a 5-year-old PC
- double-digit gains in office productivity for everyday web browsing and light content creation as compared to the previous generation
- faster download of favorite shows and movies of 4K UHD content
- The 6.5x speed of creating, editing and sharing 4K/360 video content
- streaming and playing games with efficiency the likes of ‘World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth’ and ‘World of Tanks’.
- multiple voice services supported including Amazon Alexa and Microsoft Cortana
Dolby Vision™ HDR and Dolby Atmos® supported immersive audio
The 8th Gen Intel Core Y-series processors (i7-8500, i5-8200Y, m3-8100Y) offer the additional advantages of:
- faster Wi-Fi and LTE capabilities with the help of Intel’s Wireless-AC supporting Gigabit wireless speeds and
- Gigabit LTE modem with Modern Standby and eSIM support
- unprecedented performance including facial recognition
- double-digit gains in performance as compared to the previous generation
- extended battery life
- an innovated sleek and compact form factor designs
- touch and stylus input options that aids precision
- the ability to view 1080p/4K 360 videos while streaming multiple videos simultaneously
One can be more connected than ever now.
This fall onwards, devices powered by the new 8th Gen Intel Core U-series and Y-series processors will be available from PC manufacturers.