Most companies have already taken the step to the cloud following the path of digital transformation and immediately began to benefit from this entails. To carry out a correct digital transformation, it is essential to have well-planned planning and be advised by technological consultancies specialized in this type of project. Once the migration to the cloud and the corresponding processes of adoption and management of the change are completed, these companies quickly begin to see the cloud with different eyes, and an infinity of possibilities are opened in the short or medium term.
As companies begin to grow towards the cloud, the time may come when they face a complex cloud environment, making it difficult to calculate and estimate real costs. This occurs when:
1. Thousands of resources are executed in the cloud, with their associated costs and dependencies.
2. It works with multi-cloud environments, such as Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Service, or Google Cloud Platform.
3. Needs arise from various business units and projects.
This last point focuses on the complexity involved in managing to spend on different departments of our organization. Obviously, each department has a different vision regarding the expenses generated in the cloud. For example:
1. The IT managers need to understand cloud spending throughout the organization to ensure the best ROI
2. The finance teams need to improve forecasting spending on the cloud and drive greater accountability on all computers as well as rebilling in some cases.
3. The project teams need to deliver more with the budget you have given them.
Azure Cost Management by Cloudyn
Luckily, Microsoft now has a new SaaS service that provides a comprehensive understanding of the use and cost of the cloud across multiple accounts and providers. This service is Azure Cost Management, also called Cloudyn.
Cloudyn was an Israeli startup that specialized in optimizing the cloud. It is responsible for giving a budget for the different services hosted in the cloud, in addition to the instances and other services you need to use, trying to be as small as possible and only for what is necessary. Cloudyn is compatible with both Azure and AWS or Google.
An advanced dashboard system of customizable graphics down to the smallest detail allows us to work with segmented and aggregated views so that we can see a high-level snapshot of our implementation, as well as individual accounts and critical areas.
It has an essential recommendation system that allows us to improve efficiency, reduce costs, and improve our implementation’s performance. With the vision that Cloudyn offers us, we will better understand all the costs we have in the cloud and a very accurate cost estimate for the coming months. And to avoid surprises, we also have a system of alerts that can prevent us from any anomaly or risks of excessive expenses.