Did you know that electrical defects are responsible for more than 5% of fires in the United States? If you’re reading this, then it’s likely that your home is electrical-powered. As such, you should be aware of using electricity safely and efficiently to keep yourself and your family safe. This blog post will provide some electrical safety tips for homeowners like you!

1. Set up routine professional check-ups for your electrical system

Electricity is dangerous, so do not hesitate to get the services of a licensed electrician for assistance. In fact, for energy efficiency, it is wise to have a professional evaluate your system and carry out electrical preventive maintenance at least once a year. An electrician can inspect your electrical panels and replace damaged wiring and circuit breakers.

The best way to protect yourself is to prepare for an electrical emergency. Scheduling electricity preventive maintenance plans is always a good idea.

2. Make good use of electrical equipment

It is essential to be prudent in how you use your appliances. Avoid plugging too many devices in one circuit, which can cause an overload or power outages. Be careful where you place small electrical equipment such as microwaves, toasters, and hair dryers. Ensure they are not very close to vents that could drip on them or water sources such as sinks and showers. In addition, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration recommends installing circuit breakers in all wet areas of your home, such as kitchens, toilets, and laundry rooms. They essentially turn off the electricity as quickly as possible in the event of a short circuit and save lives.

Another simple final step is to keep the cords clear, ensuring they are not hidden under the furniture or carpets. It is also vital to save energy where you can, turn off lights and appliances when not in use, and install energy-saving lamps in your home.

3. Remember the golden rule: Safety first

It would help if you did not start home repair or repair work without proper repair and safety equipment. When working with electrical equipment, unplug the unit or turn off the power to a specific circuit. Do not forget that water and electricity do not mix, so unplug any electrical equipment before cleaning it. Never use a metallic ladder when doing electrical work. Use wooden or fiberglass ladders.

If you have children at home, put a protector on the plug to keep their curious hands from touching electrical outlets and getting shocked. If you notice that your lamps are constantly flickering in your home or that you have received a mild electric shock when you plug an appliance into an electrical socket, call an expert to inspect the electrical system in your home.

4. Be careful with plugs, outlets, and cables

Please use your plugs with care and do not force them into power outlets. Do not try to bend and adjust the prongs, as this can lead to electric shock. Alternatively, if the prongs are loose inside the power outlets, it may be time to replace the plug head. Replace the old power outlets with new electrical sockets with advanced security features such as a built-in surge protector. Unplug extra extension cords if they are not in use to prevent electrical and fire hazards. Outside your home, only use wiring and electrical equipment designed for the outdoors.

If you see any worn-out wires, replace them before they shock someone or start a fire. You can contact a professional to assist you in replacing the damaged power cables. If you have just purchased an old home, you may want to undergo a thorough electrical system inspection by a professional before moving into the house.

5. Know your electrical code

If you take electrical training in Canada, you will spend a lot of time learning about the Canadian Electrical Code (CEC). Its purpose is to protect power workers and to make electrical and electronic installations safer.

Know the code, and abide by the new rules and best practices for electrical installations, maintenance, and repairs to keep you safe at work.

6. Do not touch a person being electrocuted!

It is only natural to want to reach out to a friend who has been shocked or electrocuted. But remember: the body is an electrical conductor. If you touch an electrician, the current will enter your body, and both of you will be in trouble.

The wise thing to do is turn off the primary power source and call 911 for emergency assistance. If you know CPR, you can start working on that person while waiting for the emergency response personnel to arrive.

Can’t turn off the power source? Push that person away from contact with non-conducting objects – such as wood or plastic.

7. Keep the fire extinguisher close at hand

Always have a proper fire extinguisher in the house. Water is a good conductor and should not be used to extinguish a large or small electrical fire.

Conclusion

Even if you’re not an electrician, it’s essential to be knowledgeable about electrical safety. By following these simple tips for how to use electricity safely in your home, you’ll be able to keep yourself safe from danger while also saving money on energy costs over time!