Sony has released a new, more user-friendly workflow version of its vendor-neutral medical imaging platform, NUCLeUS. The next generation will offer hospitals a streamlined digital imaging workflow and create valuable efficiency improvements. It can also easily deliver key information, such as video and audio wherever and whenever it is needed across the whole hospital campus.
NUCLeUS offers hospitals a host of new revolutionary benefits. From enhanced training and education tools to cost-effective networked medical image content management. It can boost the performance of all imaging applications and service offerings in interventional suites, operating and examination rooms. It also provides users with a real-time transmission function, which helps clinicians and management teams make more informed decisions.
A new world of smart medical applications is emerging, and Sony is committed to helping healthcare organizations streamline their imaging workflows, so the clinical staff can provide the best professional offerings.
NUCLeUS aims to be the ‘operating system’ for medical imaging in hospitals by contributing to operational efficiency, safety, and quality improvements and providing tools for better informed clinical decisions. The secure and ultra-fast connectivity to an almost unlimited on or off-premise computing power, a toolbox for signal processing and new AI technologies bring OR integration and real-time data processing in hospitals to a completely new level of workflow efficiency in healthcare.
“At Sony, we aim to develop the most advanced imaging solutions that empower medical professionals to provide their patients with better and more effective care. This new release of NUCLeUS is a big step forward on that path,” explained Leonard Yap, Head of Medical Imaging Solutions, Professional Solutions Company (PSAP) at Sony Electronics Asia Pacific. “With the steady growth of connected devices in modern hospitals, it’s now becoming a clear necessity to have a central imaging ‘operating system’ in place that collects, stores and distributes medical imaging files, not only within operating rooms, examination rooms, and interventional suites but across the entire hospital network.”
“With NUCLeUS, medical professionals can be confident of the highest image quality and operational efficiency in their imaging workflow, to assist them in making better informed clinical decisions.”
NUCLeUS showcases the continued Sony investment in providing a flexible and future-proof software-based environment for the healthcare industry. It introduces a new suite of NUCLeUS smart applications and is designed to utilize existing hospital network infrastructures as much as possible ensuring a fast return of investment.
The new additions and improvements available in the next generation of NUCLeUS include:
Workflow-orientated features for clinicians include:
- Handle multi-format, multi-standard and any resolution up to 4K
- Enhanced streaming and recording of high-quality audio and video, powered by advanced video switching and routing capabilities
- Improved image routing and viewing options, enabling smoother imaging workflows through all phases of surgical intervention, from the planning stage to post-operative patient reviews
- Updated education and teaching broadcasting capabilities by using real-time communication tools such as smarter annotation features
- Workflow enhancement through NUCLeUS smart applications such as rotation correction
- A fully scalable solution which can be easily extended to other rooms or hospital buildings at any time
- Provides IT managers with a secure and encrypted way of remote and preventive solution maintenance, including self-monitoring capabilities
- Vendor-neutral software-driven platform
- Greater support for 3rd party applications via business APIs and a variety of mechanisms and tools
- Secure HIS integration and fully HL7/DICOM compatible
Customers that have deployed NUCLeUS in a move to create enhanced surgical imaging workflows and optimize their operations include:
- University Hospitals Leuven (UZ Leuven), one of Belgium’s leading teaching hospitals with almost 2,000 patient beds and more than 9,000 employees, uses NUCLeUS to perform thousands of surgical interventions every year across 34 of its digital operating rooms.
- Karolinska University Hospital in Sweden chose NUCLeUS as their standard video-over-IP platform. 31 NUCLeUS systems will be installed to manage video-based workflows inside the operating rooms and also outside connection to auditoriums and lecture rooms, as well as remote advisory through telestration.
This next generation is the result of Sony’s acquisition in 2016 of eSATURNUS, a Belgium-based company that provides leading clinical video-over-IP solutions in the medical field. This expertise, combined with Sony’s leading imaging and AV/IT technologies, has led to the continual investment and development of NUCLeUS.
About Professional Solutions Company (PSAP), Sony Electronics Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd.
Sony Corporation is a creative entertainment company with a solid foundation of technology. From game and network services to music, pictures, electronics, semiconductors, and financial services – Sony’s purpose is to fill the world with emotion through the power of creativity and technology. Professional Solutions Company (PSAP) is established as a division company under Sony Electronics Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd. It markets Sony’s leading broadcast systems, professional video, and audio products, as well as videoconferencing, medical and surveillance systems in Asia other than Japan. It also provides customized business solutions, comprehensive technical support, and after-sales service to help Sony’s customers stay at the forefront of their business.
Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss an update on the latest tech, gaming, startup, how to guide, deals and more.